Simple Checkbox custom field

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

Starbuck

Simple Checkbox custom field

Post by Starbuck »

Looking back through this forum I can't find a single example for how to make a simple checkbox custom field work. It's been noted that it's weird and that there may be bugs. I'm hoping someone can provide a solid example of how to make a simple checkbox work.

Example: Yes/No, True/False, 1/0

Or more specifically : Checked and Unchecked ... I don't care what the internal value is for false/null, though I know an issue was reported on this, that if we are filtering for "unchecked" that leaving the filter [none] returns all records.

I understand from docs and experimentation that the intent of checkboxes here is similar to radio buttons. The checkbox is there to allow us to set many related values as on or off:

In these examples zero or more of the options can be selected. Compare to radio where only one selection is possible.
"User Remedies" values : Close Program|Reinstall Program| Restart PC
"Breakfast" values : Toast | Coffee | Tea | Oatmeal | Cereal
"Languages" values : PHP | JavaScript | C# | Python | Java

That seems to duplicate the functionality of a multi-select dropdown.
We frequently just want to see a checkbox to know if a condition is true or not.

I know this is verbose - sorry. I just want to establish a clear definition of what I think most of us expect from a simple checkbox, and then get a clear set of instructions here for how to make that happen.

Thanks!!
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!
cas

Re: Simple Checkbox custom field

Post by cas »

For your requirements you could simply use a "List" with values On/Off or Yes/No
Sometimes life can be simple :mrgreen:
Starbuck

Re: Simple Checkbox custom field

Post by Starbuck »

Yeah, we're now using yes/no radio buttons with the default=no. Good suggestion. Thanks. :)
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!